This website grows out of the Foreclosure Working Group of Occupy Greensboro, NC. Like so many others across the country, we understand that the foreclosure crisis is a direct result of the corporate malfeasance and bank fraud perpetrated by the 1% against the 99%.
Our street chants of “Banks got bailed out, we got sold out!” are not an exaggeration and we will not stand idly by as lenders and other creators of the economic crisis are given a free pass while individual homeowners are blamed for the housing crash.
We are standing in solidarity with everyone facing foreclosure, housing advocates such as Take Back the Land, Mortgage Fraud NC, Register of Deeds Jeff Thigpen and others as we take action and work in coalition to develop further strategies to help keep families in their homes and hold banks accountable.
Purpose of this website
- Resources for understanding the origins and ongoing principles of the housing crisis;
- Function as a southeastern organizing tool for foreclosure resistance;
- Build towards statewide teach-in/strategy sessions;
- Supporting Jeff Thigpen’s work to hold banks accountable for fraudulent mortgage practices;
- Find and support people facing foreclosures;
- Build towards bringing national attention to foreclosure and bank fraud at the DNC and RNC.
Reasons why you should care about foreclosure
- The title to your own house may not be clear;
- More foreclosures bring down property values across communities;
- Stopping foreclosure helps to stabilize the housing market;
- The financial crisis was caused by big banks; because of their actions, people are now expected to lose their homes while the banks get bailed out yet again.