For Immediate Release
Contact: Nathan Pius, firstname.lastname@example.org, 732-570-8847
“Save Our Community: Fight Foreclosure!” – Movie Premiere at Carolina Theater
“Let’s Lose Our House: A Modern Foreclosure Tale”
Film Stars, Robots, Crowds and a Red Carpet
Jeff Thigpen will address attendees at the premiere of our locally produced film: “Let’s Lose Our House: A Modern Foreclosure Tale” at the Carolina Theater at 7:00 P.M. Wednesday March 14, 2012.
The Guilford County Register of Deeds announced today he is suing several banks, including Bank of America and Wells Fargo, alleging thousands of mortgage documents filed in the county were fraudulent. Thigpen said the fraudulent documents make it difficult, if not impossible, for his office to track who actually owns the property.
Over the last two years Thigpen has become a national figure in calling attention to document forgery, robo-signing, and other types of mortgage fraud by major banks. His office conducted a study of 6,100 mortgage documents here in Guilford County and discovered that 74 percent, about 4,500 transactions, or a stack of paper two feet high, had problems involving forged signatures and fraudulent documents. His research into robo-signing has been cited in a number of pending court cases as well as in the Associated Press, Business Week, and other national publications.
In appreciation of his efforts on behalf of illegally foreclosed homeowners and Guilford County residents, Thigpen will receive autographs from the film’s robotic “Robo-Signers” who will make a special appearance at the premiere.
SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES
- 5:30 – 6:15: Dinner at the Interactive Resource Center. Provided by Unity in Greensboro Church
- 6:15 – 6:30: Photo Op: Marchers assemble at IRC, including Cakalak Thunder
- 6:30 – 6:45: Photo Op: March comes down Washington, turns left on Greene
- 6:45 – 7:00: Interviews: Early birds arrive
- 7:00 – 7:05: Photo Op: Paparazzi/Limo arrival
- 7:15 – 7:22: Real Foreclosure Story. Ricky and Patricia video
- 7:24 – 7:47: Screen the movie
- 7:50 – 7:53: Intro Jeff Thigpen
- 7:53 – 8:03: Featured Speaker: Jeff Thigpen
- 8:03 – 8:05: Robots give Jeff autographs, and …
- 8:30 – 8:45: Interviews: Q&A (in lobby or auditorium, depending on size of crowd.)